Saturday, April 17, 2010

Onboarding

In the 52nd Bill Kutik’s radio show, he is interviewing Mike Smith, Senior Vice President of Marketing at TALX Corporation which sells HR, Payroll, and tax outsourcing services. I checked their website out and found that serve small to large companies, even non-profit organizations. Since we talked about onboarding last class and that is one of the HR services they offer, I wanted to do some research on this to share with you guys.

Each time I read about an automated HR process I think of the way I do it at work, I always end up amazed at how technology eases HR processes and I hope one of these days I can bring some change to my paper files. The automated onboarding proposed by TALX is a web-based process that can start even before the new employee’s first day. When a candidate accepts an offer employment chances are that he/she is super motivated, oh wait, if the employer has a serious recruitment process this new hire motivation is an assumption. Therefore, it would be smart to send him/her some information to keep him/her engaged even before the start day and to save some HR time having him/her filling employment forms out electronically.

I definitely see the effectiveness of having the new hire entering his/her own information into the HR system instead of having one of the HR people entering the same data into the system from a paper form. Now that I know what a system of record is and its importance, I see that the very first time that employee information is entered into the HRIS is crucial because that same information can be used for payroll, benefits enrollment, and so on, it can be our system of record! Of course, we want to have the new hire information since he/she was an applicant, so, his/her data storage starts when we get the application and ends when the employee leaves the organization.

3 comments:

  1. HR software is indeed assist and ease many HR department and the staff in managing and administrating the human capital and talent in an organization. I really think all the software programs or applications out there, either related to HR or not, is one of the greatest invention of the human’s talent to simplicity our daily life.

    I surely agree with you, the important of HR technology to be executed in the HR department. There is no doubt how much papers HR staff have to copy/ print for recording and tracking purpose that I feel so guilty to the environment. It is almost like cutting a tree everyday and I hope someday, HR department will change the way it does now to save the cost and environment that we are responsible for it. Now, who's talking about GREEN and E-filing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same situation you're in. I'm very interested in learning about automated processes. In my agency, we continue to have candidates fill out paper applications and we keep these in folders in a drawer. It's hard for us to have a general view of what types of candidates we have because we don't have a system that allows us to manage our talent. Hopefully, we will soon be able to implement a more efficient and environment friendly process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The PS system we have allows employees to update their personal information using the "Employee Self-Service" feature. I doubt very much if the newly hired employee gets to enter his/her own personal information. We're OK, I guess, but can definitely do better.

    ReplyDelete