Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I still deal with paper files at work… HRIS might help!

I’m glad one of our assignments in this class is to write a project to solve a challenge at work because I have a BIG one and it is related to lack of technology! Basically, we don’t have a modern platform and rely heavily in excel, pen and paper. So, I drafted the following plan based on the charter that Jun provided last Thursday. Please, feel free to ask any questions and/or suggest what you feel might improve my project and increase management buy-in.

1. Problem statement
Recruitment is very time-consuming for the HR team. This issue might be increasing our cost in the long term and affecting our capability to attract talent.

2. Customers
Job candidates, HR staff, senior management.

3. Business case
The recruitment workflow starts when there is an open position; then HR and the hiring manager revise the job description. Now, it’s time to post it, I log in several websites and begin my copy-paste. In the meantime, IT sets up a specific email address to get all the applications for the same position. Eventually, I’ll start getting resumes in my already created outlook folder. You can imagine the amount of resumes that I get, so I’d better print them out and enter them in my database on a daily basis. Although I only enter contact information and a mini summary of work experience, I still have to eye-scan each resume. I’m the first filter and I have to give the hiring team/manager a bunch of resumes to go through. After that, they let me know who to schedule interviews with. While I’m populating my file-maker database, I’m sending acknowledgment letters too. At the end of all this, my inbox is full again because people reply to such acknowledgments, the cycle never ends…

4. In scope
A better recruitment system would help my team to be more available to other needs of the organization, therefore offering better customer service.

5. Out of scope
The organization would benefit from a more efficient HR team that improves the capability to recruit talent through strategies like a faster and accurate recruitment process and therefore a more professional image.

6. Success metrics
a)Faster creation of the external talent database.
b)Immediate acknowledgment of application received.
c)Avoid offer rejection from the applicant due to long decision making process.

7. Deliverables
a)Communication plan: identification of agents of change in order to explain the benefits of a new system, staff meetings, supervisor meetings.
b)Training plan: IT and HR in collaboration to offer training facilitated by external and internal experts.

8. Resources
a)Functional/technical: Research of options available in the market to implement the new system. IT assess technical infrastructure needed and HR evaluates skill set requirements to migrate data to a new platform.
b)Sponsors: who is going to invest the money, time and effort necessary to implement the new system?

9. Core team
In order to implement a new system that complies with federal and state laws, as well as organization policies, is necessary the close collaboration of the IT and HR department.

3 comments:

  1. You got it! Remember the performance period and always celebrate milestones (great for team spirit and morale).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lilian,

    This looks really good!

    There are a few things I would throw out there for you to think about adding:

    Problem statement - I would concretely state what about the process is time consuming I know that you address that in the business case - but grabbing exec sponsors attention right off is key. Always good to talk about productivity loss in terms of $$. Like - the current process requires X hours * average hourly salary.
    I think the info you have in the business case should go in the problem statement? I think the example that Jun uses places them in a "problem details" section. I think the business case should be what you are proposing - process improvement as assisted via some tool or database. I am not sure reading from the example, but I assumed that is where we would talk about what we would be chartering. Reading your charter is inspiring! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilian, Thanks for posting your draft. I became a "volunteer" at a non-profit organization,and I do not have all the necessary "clearance" to do a very in depth research. I know that I want to help them with what it seems to be one of their priorities. "Orientation process and Manual".

    I will post on my blog soon. Could you take a look and give me your feedback? I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete